Saturday, March 3, 2012

Adventures with green beans

By now, you may have seen the pictures of Emma's first spoon feedings on facebook.  Here's the background.

After green beans, day 1
Ideally, I intended to wait until Emma was six months old before introducing solid foods.  Then, at the four month appointment, her pediatrician gave the go ahead to start them "between four and six months, as close to six months as possible."  My husband felt really strongly about starting them as soon as possible, so we decided to compromise.  I did as much research as I could, about what to look for regarding readiness, how to start, what foods to choose.  As she started to sit up, more and more, having more control while sitting with more interest in our food every day, I finally relented.  I finally gave in once she hit five months.

I honestly didn't think she'd actually eat the first solids we tried.  After doing some reading, I felt strongly about not starting with rice cereal and her doctor agreed it wasn't a requirement and suggested starting with a veggie instead.  So, we went with green beans.

Oh my, her first reaction was priceless.  I should have had it on video camera instead of still photo.  She recoiled in shock, cried for a second... and then waited.  She kind of tasted it, licked her lips and tolerated another spoonful.  After a few tries, she started leaning towards the spoon.

Still not sure about this.. but I'll eat it, anyway.
Today, when Tim fed her, she was licking the spoon and her bib.  I guess she likes green beans!  I can't believe how she is growing up.

I don't know if it is hormones, or just how she is growing up so fast, but it seems like everything baby/child related these days - from Emma, to commercials to Teen Mom (omg, really) - really makes me weepy.  It's like I'm starting to look at her and picturing her grown up, or at least as a child that is walking and talking and oh, it's such a weird feeling.  I am so excited to see her grow and change, but I am SO not ready for her to grow up yet.  Damn, this motherhood thing is one surprise after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment